This is the feature which turns the maps “3d” so you can see sky and puts everything in “Perspective” (hence the name..)
This is hidden away in a menu.. within a menu.. to turn it on:
- Go to set.. sometimes labelled “”settings” or config menu (depends on firmware)
- Press and hold the menu button for 10secs this will bring up a “Service menu”
- Scroll down in till you see “Perspective” use the right knob to enter and change this to yes
Thats it turned on..
So where is it?.. this wasn’t immediately obvious to me either i was half expecting it all to look 3d straight away!
If you select GPS navigation, push the right knob and select “Map positioning” the should be a new option called Perspective.. click this and watch the magic happen.. enjoy
This is something that isnt documented very well anywhere and personally i have totally destroyed a MK3 unit once by not realising this and unplugging the device before its ready.
The MK3/Mk4 bmw drive unit powers down fully and correctly approximately 1/2mins after the ignition has been turned off, if the power supply is cut or interrupted before hand then the devices ram corrupts.
To fully powerdown/make sure the device is ready to be unplugged:
- Turn off ignition get out and close door
- Go to the boot and open
- Look at the device the light should flash (this is when its writing and reading the memory)
- Wait roughly 1-2mins until the light is totally off
If no light is active then the device is fully shutdown
I have been “playing” with the sat nav drives recently so will be coving some posts on this when i get a chance.
My first one is the steps to take to actually update the firmware on these computers, they are very specific:
- Turn the key to ignition position 1 and wait for your car computer to display the options/all turn on
- Leave on, open the door (leave open) go to the boot and take out the cd if you already have one in e.g. maps
- Insert the firmware CD and go back to the front, wait for a few mins (make sure you leave the drivers door open)
- After a few mins your screen should read “Software update The installation will update your navigation system please don’t turn off the ignition” and then few mins after that you should see a progress bar
Your BMW MK3/4 drive is currently reading the software from the CD this will take anywhere from 5mins-10mins DONT close your drivers door or turn the ignition off during this process this will ruin the drive
When the drive is finished you will see “update is complete take cd out and confirm with ok”
- go to your boot and eject the firmware cd
- go back to the screen and press the right knob to confirm the cd is ejected
Wait for your drive unit to reboot and this will update with your new configuration